I'm a mom with the ultimate goal of being healthy. This blog will outline my meal plan (and recipes) for the next 8 weeks with an ultimate goal of losing 8 pounds (1 lb/week). I want to teach people to eat well, live well, shop local and prepare their food from local ingredients when possible. Respect the earth and yourself by eating food and using products that aren't harmful to us or the earth. This blog is not just about weight loss but about giving your body the nutrition it needs to be at it's best every day. Enjoy!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Potato and Leek soup

I know soup is a little out of season but I had tons of potatoes to use up and got leeks in my CSA last thursday!  Since I am not much of a soup person I decided to make a hearty soup, I believe that food should be chewed :)  This soup was creamy and the potatoes added a heartiness to the soup.  I picked up a loaf of crusty sourdough bread and it made this meal perfect!

1/2 c butter - next time I will use 1/4 c
a few medium leeks - I used about 8 small leeks
2 cloves garlic - I think I will double next time
1 T cornstarch
1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
4 cups peeled and diced potatoes - I used yukon gold and some red potatoes
2 cups cream/half and half/milk - I used 2% milk
salt and pepper

In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.  Cook leeks with salt and pepper until soft (10 - 15 min).  Add the garlic for about a minute, you will smell the garlic when it is done.
wisk in the cornstarch
wisk in the stock slowly
add the potatoes and bring to a boil
add the cream/milk and salt and pepper to taste
simmer until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes

I ate about half and froze the other half for a cool fall dinner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment