I'm a mom with the ultimate goal of being healthy. This blog will outline my meal plan (and recipes) for the next 8 weeks with an ultimate goal of losing 8 pounds (1 lb/week). I want to teach people to eat well, live well, shop local and prepare their food from local ingredients when possible. Respect the earth and yourself by eating food and using products that aren't harmful to us or the earth. This blog is not just about weight loss but about giving your body the nutrition it needs to be at it's best every day. Enjoy!

Friday, August 19, 2011

whole chicken roaster in the slow cooker

Over the weekend I had a whole chicken that I needed to cook but didn't have the time to roast it in the oven as usual.  Plus it's been a little warm here and I am trying not to use my oven if at all possible.  So I decided to try it in the slow cooker.  This chicken turned out AMAZING!  The flavors steamed into the chicken meat and it was so tender it fell right off the one.  YUM!  And as usual, I used up the ingredients from my fridge.  Here is what I did:

I cut up 2 onions and the "wild" celery (it was a dark green celery that is a little more bitter than celery you buy in the store) and layered it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
I cleaned out the cavity of the chicken and rinsed well.
I stuffed the chicken with a lemon, a lime, garlic cloves and tarragon.  (again, using the ingredients I had in the fridge).
I covered the slow cooker with aluminum foil because the lid wouldn't fit and cooked for 8 hours.

Over the week we ate chicken in lots of ways; chicken with cous cous, chicken salad, chicken and mashed potatoes ... there were lots of leftovers since this was a 5 lb roaster which is quite large for a pasture raised chicken.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment