I'm a mom with the ultimate goal of being healthy. This blog will outline my meal plan (and recipes) for the next 8 weeks with an ultimate goal of losing 8 pounds (1 lb/week). I want to teach people to eat well, live well, shop local and prepare their food from local ingredients when possible. Respect the earth and yourself by eating food and using products that aren't harmful to us or the earth. This blog is not just about weight loss but about giving your body the nutrition it needs to be at it's best every day. Enjoy!

Friday, August 19, 2011

cholesterol and triglycerides - in my opinion

I was recently asked for advice on how to get a person's Triglycerides down.  So I thought I would share the information on this blog.....

Like many Americans, I battle high cholesterol.  I exercise, eat well and overall live a healthy lifestyle ... yet my numbers can reach up to 260 if i don't watch what I eat.  Cholesterol and Triglycerides give our body the energy it needs.  They basically sit and wait for you to burn enery so they can re-build your cells.  However, if you don't burn the calories and fat they turn into high cholesterol and triglycerides.

In order to get these numbers under control, which I have done naturally, you need to monitor your diet and eliminate sugars.  I love to bake and my cholesterol numbers prove it :(  I find that my waist measurements directly relate to my cholesterol numbers.  If I am not exercising and my waist fills out, even though I am not putting on weight, my cholesterol increases. 

Overall, keeping your cholesterol numbers down fits my way of life.  If you eat foods that come from the earth, your body can digest them.  If your body can digest the food it is heathier and has less issues.  Man made ingredients cause digestive problems increasing your risk for medical problems (in my opinion); allergies, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity.  Throw out that box and make your food from scratch!

Tips to keep your cholesterol down:
Keep foods that come from a box or package to a minimum
Try not to indulge on foods high in sugar, i.e. ice cream, pastry, baked goods
Don't eat refined carbs, eat whole grain bread, pastas, etc. 
Eat grains versus refined carbs.  i.e. eat oatmeal instead of cereal, eat quinoa instead of pasta.  Grains come from the earth and are easier to digest than man made foods with additives and preservatives.
I drink apple cider vinegar tea daily, this has helped.  It cleans my body of toxins and excess waste and also boosts my immune system.
Some people take fish oil, the studies show this helps.  I do not take this.
Exercise most days of the week, and make sure you get your heart rate up!

Good Luck!

1 comment:

  1. The research concluded that adding turmeric to a high fat meal actually lowered insulin levels and triglycerides by one-third.


    cholesterol and triglycerides

    ReplyDelete