I'm a mom with the ultimate goal of being healthy. This blog will outline my meal plan (and recipes) for the next 8 weeks with an ultimate goal of losing 8 pounds (1 lb/week). I want to teach people to eat well, live well, shop local and prepare their food from local ingredients when possible. Respect the earth and yourself by eating food and using products that aren't harmful to us or the earth. This blog is not just about weight loss but about giving your body the nutrition it needs to be at it's best every day. Enjoy!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Fun meal for kids (and adults)- Couscous and Garbanzo bean Tabbouleh and chicken lollipops

I decided to try a new recipe from Parents magazine, Couscous and Garbanzo bean Tabbouleh.  The best part of this recipe is that I was able to use some of the ingredients from my garden and CSA!  I thought the side dish was fresh and light, I wish I would have tried it earlier this summer.  My 2 year old seemed a little disturbed that there was "stuff" in her couscous, but I am hopeful she will learn to enjoy it over time.  I also made chicken lollipops with a dipping sauce, glazed chicken baked in the oven and made into a lollipop so it's fun to eat.  These are fun and easy, would probably make a good party dish!

Couscous and Garbanzo bean Tabbouleh
Ingredients:
1 1/4 c couscous
4 T olive oil
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 lg tomato seeded and chopped
2 chives chopped
1/2 c cilantro
1/2 c parsley
1/2 fresh lemon juice and zest
salt and pepper

Directions:
Bring 1 1/2 c water and 1 T olive oil to a boil and pour in the coucous.  Stir, cover and remove from heat.  Let sit 5 minutes and then use a fork to fluff.  In a large bowl, combine the couscous, garbanzo beans, tomato, chives, cilantro and parsley.  In a small bowl wisk the lemon juice and zest, 3 T olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Drizzle this over the couscous and toss.

Chicken Lollipops
Ingredients:
1 lb chicken, cut up into pieces fit to be a lollipop.  You could use breast or thigh (I prefer thigh)
2 T BBQ sauce
1/2 fresh lemon juice
1 T olive oil
Ranch dressing
chili powder
skewers or lollipop sticks from craft store

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400.  In a flat container (I used a rectangular pyrex glass container), mix the BBQ sauce, lemon juice and olive oil.  Add the chicken and cover with sauce, marinate for 15 minutes (while the oven preheats).  Bake on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes, turning half way thru.   After the chicken is cooked spear each piece with a skewer.  Make a dip by mixing 1/4 c ranch dressing with 1/4 t chili powder.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment