I'm a mom with the ultimate goal of being healthy. This blog will outline my meal plan (and recipes) for the next 8 weeks with an ultimate goal of losing 8 pounds (1 lb/week). I want to teach people to eat well, live well, shop local and prepare their food from local ingredients when possible. Respect the earth and yourself by eating food and using products that aren't harmful to us or the earth. This blog is not just about weight loss but about giving your body the nutrition it needs to be at it's best every day. Enjoy!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Pot Roast and Gravy

I am finally going to make the arm roast from my cow for dinner.  It's chilly out and the oven should help warm up the house!  Since I don't have a dutch oven I am going to make my base in a pan on the stove and then transfer to a baking pan for the oven, I know what to put on my Christmas list!

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
3 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1 cup dry red wine
4 thyme sprigs
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
1 bay leaf
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces

Directions:
Take out roast and trim away excess fat, the large chunks that won't break down.  You want some fat because this helps make the roast tender.  Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt on each side and let sit out at room temp for 1 hour.  This helps tenderize the meat (I saw it on a cooking show).  Preheat the oven to 350.  In a pan, saute the onion, add the garlic for about 30 seconds.  Once you smell the garlic add the red wine, thyme sprigs, beef broth and bay leaf.  Bring to a simmer.  Pour the base into the pan you will use to cook the roast, add the roast, cover and bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.  Turn the roast, add the carrots and potatoes, cover and bake another 1 hour. Remove the thyme sprig and bay leaf and it's ready to serve.

I am going to make gravy to go with my roast.
Remove the potatoes and 75% of the carrots.  Dump the remaining broth and vegetables into a blender or food processor and blend, this should thicken your gravy.  In a sauce pan, add the blended broth and veggies, the leaves of a thyme sprig and salt and pepper, add another 1 - 2 cups beef stock.  warm on stove and use for roast and potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment