I'm a mom with the ultimate goal of being healthy. This blog will outline my meal plan (and recipes) for the next 8 weeks with an ultimate goal of losing 8 pounds (1 lb/week). I want to teach people to eat well, live well, shop local and prepare their food from local ingredients when possible. Respect the earth and yourself by eating food and using products that aren't harmful to us or the earth. This blog is not just about weight loss but about giving your body the nutrition it needs to be at it's best every day. Enjoy!

Monday, September 12, 2011

spaghetti and meatballs

Since tomatoes, zuccini, garlic and onions are plentiful and I got a spaghetti squash in my CSA I decided to make spaghetti with meatballs.

For the spaghetti sauce....
I peeled and chopped approx 12 tomatoes.  I added these to a pan with olive oil.  I also added 1 onion, 1 head of garlic, 1 zuccini, and a mild pepper (I think that is it).  I simmered on low for about 2 hours, and added salt for flavor.  Food processsed, but left it a little chunky and put it in the slow cooker.

For the meatballs ....
mix 1 lb ground beef, 1/3 c bread crumbs, 1 T Italian seasoning and 1 egg.  Form meatballs with an ice cream scoop (makes approx 8).  Bake at 3:50 for 15 min, flip and bake for another 5 minutes.  I added the meatballs to the crock pot to simmer in the sauce.

For the pasta....
This time I used spaghetti squash so I baked it and then added at the end.  If I am using whole wheat pasta I add to the slow cooker, this healps with the texture of the pasta.  Add white pasta or quinoa pasta at the end since this can et soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment